Volunteers play a valuable role at Horizons by assisting classroom teachers
with a variety of activities that include:
- Academic: Classroom Volunteers help students individually or in small groups; prepare materials for classroom activities, monitor specific activities as assigned by classroom teacher.
- Enrichment: Classroom and Enrichment Volunteers monitor students in all enrichment activities (sports, music, science, art, swimming, etc.) and on field trips, actively engaging with students in the activity where appropriate. Volunteers are required to help in the pool during swim lessons.
- General: set a positive example for all students at all times; assist in cafeteria as needed during breakfast and lunch; monitor and engage with students during recess, at sports, during transitions, on bus, during swimming and on field trips.
The characteristics of a successful Horizons GFA volunteer include maturity, restraint, good judgment, and a cheerful, warm personality. In addition, applicants should like and relate well to children as well as possess the desire and skills necessary to work with them: patience, kindness, tolerance, adaptability, and the ability to creatively problem-solve.
Students currently in 9th grade and older interested in volunteering should email email@example.com to be placed on the volunteer list. Once on the list, you will be notified about all volunteer opportunities as they arise.
GFA upper school students can also join the Horizons GFA Club by emailing Mr. Jackson, firstname.lastname@example.org.
The deadline to apply to be a 2022 summer volunteer has passed, unless you are available for all six weeks or from July 18-August 5. If so, please read below then if still interested, email email@example.com for more information.
If you are in high school anywhere in our area and interested in becoming a volunteer during our 2022 six-week summer session, please read the following information carefully:
- 2022 summer dates are Monday, June 27 through Friday, August 5 (Horizons will be closed Monday, July 4th). Hours are 8:15am-3:30pm, full days only.
- Students must apply for a summer volunteer position. Students new to the Horizons GFA summer will be required to submit a reference as part of the application.
- Students new to Horizons GFA must volunteer at a minimum of one Saturday Academy in Spring 2022 to determine if the larger summer commitment is appropriate (Spring Saturday Academy dates are May 7 & 14, June 4 & 11). To schedule volunteering at Saturday Academy, please email Monique Rutledge (firstname.lastname@example.org) to be placed on the volunteer list.