The Horizons GFA High School Program prepares students for post-secondary education using a one-on-one academic coaching model. Each student is carefully matched with an academic coach for weekly meetings during the school year. Student growth in academics and social-emotional learning is the focus of each session, plus study skills, time management and course planning. Beginning in the spring of junior year students work with the program’s college guidance counselor twice per month. Additional workshops and family events are held throughout the year that focus on college test prep, financial aid, resume building and interviewing skills. Summer programming with a grade-specific focus is also offered.
- Students meet with their academic coach once a week to focus on academics, social/emotional skills, study skills and more, for a total of 50 hours of individualized attention each school year
- 98% program attendance rate
- Students receive subject specific tutoring as needed, extensive group SAT prep and summer programming catered to grade specific needs
- Horizons students participate in volunteer/community service opportunities and extracurricular activities
- 100% of Horizons high school students graduate compared to Bridgeport’s average of 67%
- 100% of Horizons students enroll in post-secondary education, as opposed to an estimated 34% of Bridgeport students
- Academic coaches are dedicated to their students over the long term as evidenced by a 98% retention rate
- Our staff is diverse and includes teachers, social workers, counselors, and college admissions professionals, all with deep knowledge in their subject areas
Below are the many post-secondary institutions that have admitted HGFA high school seniors since the start of the High School Program.