Our College Success Program builds on the success of the High School Program by providing resources to Horizons GFA students to assure degree completion and career readiness. If “into and through” college defines student success, the High School Program achieves the “into” while the College Success Program gets them “through.” For first-generation college students, this can be a daunting task. Due to academic gaps, cultural differences and financial obstacles, the post-secondary completion rate of first-generation college students is as low as 11%. Over two-thirds of Horizons GFA high school graduates are first-generation college students, so extended support is critical.
Sustained contact and support is the cornerstone of the College Success Program. Focusing on the areas which most often cause first-generation students to drop out, we maintain one-on-one contact with our students year-round to anticipate and tackle these challenges so students can persist toward their degree.
College Success Program Highlights
- 99% attendance rate
- Students receive an average of 15 check-ins per year
- One-on-one interaction with a college advisor to support social-emotional learning, track progress, monitor class selection, grades and help students as needed throughout the year
- Book scholarships are available, two per year
- Emergency financial assistance
- Skills workshops on multiple topics
- Commuity Building Events
2016-2019 College Enrollments
These are the schools at which HGFA students are continuing their education.