HORIZONS GFA FACULTY POSITION DESCRIPTION
Applications for PreK-8 faculty positions are now being accepted for spring and summer 2021.
Horizons Greens Farms Academy (HGFA) is an academic and enrichment program designed to help low-income Bridgeport students attending underserved schools reach their full potential. Horizons GFA supports over 300 students and their families from PreK through college with year-round programming and support.
Our six-week summer PreK-8 Program takes place on the GFA campus. PreK-8 students engage in small classes led by professional, nurturing teachers. Students engage with an individualized curriculum emphasizing reading, writing, math, and social-emotional learning (SEL). Enrichment activities, including swimming and music, expose students to new opportunities. Throughout the school year, Saturday Academy provides academic and SEL continuity while reinforcing the student-HGFA relationship. In later years, the program assists students in navigating high school and college through a combination of year-round individual academic coaching, counseling, tutoring, mentoring and college prep.
Working in partnership with our families, HGFA is committed to developing the whole child through academic, SEL, and enrichment experiences that build problem solving skills, foster awareness of the outside world, develop a sense of community responsibility, instill respect for self and others, and encourage a commitment to education.
Job Description & Responsibilities
Our teachers are an essential part of the Horizons GFA team. Teachers coordinate with a co-teacher, intern and classroom volunteers in leading groups of 16-20 students. Teachers are expected to:
- Create a safe, student-centered learning environment that fosters student inquiry.
- Implement a prescribed Math and ELA curriculum through challenging and engaging lessons.
- Implement activities in the joint HGFA/Harvard Graduate School of Education-developed custom SEL curriculum to foster self-esteem, social awareness and other core SEL skills.
- Scaffold and adapt lesson plans to meet the individual needs of each student.
- Administer appropriate assessment tools, such as STAR Reading and Math.
- Engage with parents on student progress and needs.
- Communicate appropriately, professionally and effectively with fellow staff.
- Be present every day during the summer program and Saturday Academy sessions.
- Attend and actively participate in all staff meetings and training sessions.
- A passion for the Horizons GFA mission and an unwavering belief in the power of education and the potential in all young Bridgeport students.
- Strong instructional and classroom management skills.
- Bachelor’s degree, Master’s degree preferred
- Two years of lead teaching experience and a long-term commitment to teaching.
- Ability to attend summer and Saturday Academy program dates.
- Location: Greens Farms Academy, 35 Beachside Avenue, Westport, Connecticut, 06880.
- New Teacher Orientation & Training: Tentative evening sessions week of April 26
- Saturday Academy: May-June (tentative)
- Summer Dates: Exact dates TBD but applicants should be available between Monday, June 21st and Friday, August 6th until final dates are determined. Hours are 8:15am – 3:45pm.