SUMMER CLASSROOM INTERN POSITION DESCRIPTION
Help create a memorable summer experience:
Horizons Greens Farms Academy (HGFA) is a transformational, academic, and enrichment program that partners with students and families from Bridgeport, CT attending under-resourced schools. Our six-week summer PreK-8 Program takes place on the GFA campus. PreK-8 students engage in small classes led by highly skilled, nurturing teachers. Students engage with an individualized curriculum emphasizing reading, writing, math, and social-emotional learning (SEL). Enrichment activities, including swimming and music, expose students to new opportunities.
Horizons at GFA hires graduating high school seniors and college-aged students to work with PreK to 8th-grade students in an intensive six-week summer program held on the GFA campus. Summer Classroom Interns are responsible for assisting teachers with planning and implementing academic curricula, enrichment activities, swim instruction, student monitoring, transitions, and field trips.
- Be a mature individual with a demonstrated record of dedication, professionalism, and reliability.
- Possess the skills necessary to work with children: patience, kindness, compassion, tolerance, adaptability, and problem-solving ability.
- Be willing and able to actively participate in all academic and enrichment activities while being a positive role model for our students.
- Be present every day during the summer program.
- Interest in the field of education a plus but not required
Classroom Interns must:
- Help create a positive culture infused with Social Emotional Learning (SEL) teaching principles.
- Take the initiative in the classroom to support active learning.
- Assist teachers in planning lessons and activities.
- Teach, facilitate, and find resources for small groups of students.
- Supervise and participate when appropriate during enrichment activities (swimming, art, science, etc.).
- Establish a positive relationship with students, supervising teachers, and classroom volunteers.
To be eligible for the position of Classroom Intern, you must:
- Believe in the mission of Horizons at GFA.
- Hold an unwavering belief in the power of education and the potential in all young people from Bridgeport.
- Be on a college track that demonstrates a commitment to serving children.
- Have had prior experience working with students in an educational setting.
- Be available full days, Monday through Friday, 8:00 am – 3:30 pm, for all six weeks during the summer session.
- Be available to attend orientation & training sessions prior to the summer session.
We are fully staffed for 2023. Please check back in January 2024 or email the
PreK-8 Academic Director, Lisa Moore, gro.ymedacafg@erooml.
Horizons GFA will consider all qualified applicants without attention to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation,
gender identity, or national origin. Salary is commensurate with education and experience.