Horizons at GFA hires college-aged students to work with PreK to 8th grade students in an intensive six-week academic summer program held on the GFA campus. Classroom Interns have significant responsibility assisting teachers with academics, enrichment activities, swim instruction, student monitoring, transitions, and field trips.
Classroom Interns are expected to:
- take initiative in the classroom to support active learning
- assist teachers in planning lessons and activities
- work with students in small groups
- teach, facilitate and find resources for small groups of students
- tutor students who are struggling academically
- supervise students at all times, including at recess, breakfast, lunch, and during enrichment periods
- supervise and swim with students at the pool
- establish positive relationship with supervising teachers
- report any concerns with student behavior or classroom dynamics to supervising teacher
To be eligible for the position of Classroom Intern, you must:
- have graduated from high school by June of the year you wish to work
- be available full days (8:00am – 3:45pm) for all six weeks
- have had prior experience working with students in an educational setting
- sign and adhere to the Horizons at GFA Code of Conduct
- submit your completed application by the deadline
- submit reference form
- attend orientation & training sessions
We look for mature individuals with a demonstrated record of dedication, professionalism and reliability. In addition, you must possess the skills necessary to work with children: patience, kindness, compassion, tolerance, adaptability and problem-solving ability. You will be required to actively participate in all academic and enrichment activities while being a positive role model for our students. Interns are required to be present every day during the summer program. Academic interest in the field of education and experience working in an underserved communities are recommended but not required.
The application period for 2018 is closed. Please return to this website in December if you wish to be considered for Summer 2019.
For questions, please call Monique Rutledge, Horizons GFA Program Manager at 203-256-7579.