This page is for new student applicants only, not for returning Horizons GFA students.
(Re-enrollment for current students will begin in January.)
Thank you for your interest in Horizons GFA. Each year we admit a limited number of new students in PreK, K, and 1st grade. We also fill openings in upper grades if any occur. Our 2018 admission season is open from November 20, 2017 through January 31, 2018. The application is online only. Please carefully read the sections below before starting an application.
- Horizons GFA is an academic and cultural enrichment program for public school students from lower income Bridgeport families.
- The PreK-8 program is divided into a six week summer session, five week fall Saturday Academy session, and a six week spring Saturday Academy session.
- In the summer, students have academics in the morning and a variety of special interest classes in the afternoons, including science, art, music, swimming, sports, and field trips.
- Round-trip transportation from Bridgeport is provided as well as breakfast and lunch during the summer.
- Attendance is mandatory: if you have summer plans that will prevent your student from attending every day for all six weeks, please do not apply.
- There is no fee to apply to Horizons at GFA. Admitted students receive a full scholarship except for a $50 registration fee due prior to enrollment.
Who is eligible to apply to Horizons GFA?
- Students in grades K-8 attending a Bridgeport public school during the 2017-18 and 2018-19 school years
- Students in PreK who will be entering Kindergarten in a Bridgeport public school in Fall 2018
- Students from families committed to 100% participation and attendance
- Students from families with total income at or below our set income guidelines
Horizons GFA accepts applications from students in grades PreK through 8th grade each year. This year we have openings in the following grades:
PreK: 8 openings
Kindergarten: 7 openings
1st Grade: 5 openings
2nd Grade: 1 opening
3rd Grade: 3 openings
5th Grade: 3 openings
If there is no opening listed for your student’s grade, you can still apply. Additional openings might occur following current student re-enrollment. To be considered for one of those openings, you must apply during the admission period.
Application Deadline: January 31, 2018. All required documents must be received by this date for an applicant to be considered for admission.
2018 Summer Dates (tentative): Monday, June 25 through Friday, August 3. Horizons will be closed on Wednesday, July 4th.
HOW TO APPLY
The first time you go online, you will be prompted to create a username and password, please make a note of it. You can save and exit the application and return to it at any time using the link below. Please remember to hit submit when you are finished to send the application. One application must be completed for each child applying, so if you have two children applying to the program, you need to complete two separate applications.
If you need help completing the application, you need translation assistance, or if you need access to a computer and the internet, we will have assistance available by appointment only in our Bridgeport office (1057 Broad Street, 2nd Floor). Please contact Luz Sanchez at firstname.lastname@example.org to set up an appointment.
- In order for your student to be considered for an opening, you must complete and submit the online application by January 31, 2018.
- The online application requires you to upload the most recent current school year report card AND the final 2016-17 school year report card. If you prefer, you can mail those to Horizons at GFA Admissions, PO Box 998, Greens Farms, CT 06838. They must be received by January 31, 2018.
- You must also download & print the Teacher Evaluation Form, and give to the applicant’s teacher to fill out. The teacher can email or mail directly to Horizons, the information is on the form. It is your responsibility to follow up with the teacher to make sure they complete the form by January 31, 2018.
AFTER YOU APPLY: Eligible applicants will be contacted to schedule an interview. At that time, we will request 2017 tax records to verify income. Finalists will be invited to participate in a spring Saturday Academy session in late April. Admissions decisions will be released after the Saturday Academy visit.
Please follow the link below to be redirected to the online application. Do not forget to download the teacher form as well as complete the application!
If you run into problems, please email Monique Rutledge at email@example.com.