Horizons at GFA offers students the opportunity to help students in Horizons GFA’s PreK to 8 classrooms during our six-week summer program. This is a volunteer position for which students receive community service hours.
Summer 2020 dates are Monday, June 22 through Friday, July 31.
Program hours are 8:15am–3:30pm.
Minimum age: 9th grade (current grade, not rising grade)
Volunteers play a valuable role at Horizons by assisting classroom teachers with a variety of activities that vary from day to day, but will include:
- Academic: Classroom Volunteers help students individually or in small groups; prepare materials for classroom activities, monitor specific activities as assigned by classroom teacher.
- Enrichment: Classroom and Enrichment Volunteers monitor students in all enrichment activities (sports, music, science, art, swimming, etc.) and on field trips, actively engaging with students in the activity where appropriate. Volunteers are required to help in the pool during swim lessons.
- General: set a positive example for all students at all times; assist in cafeteria as needed during breakfast and lunch; monitor and engage with students during recess, at sports, during transitions, on bus, during swimming and on field trips.
The characteristics of a successful Horizons GFA volunteer include maturity, restraint, good judgment, and a cheerful, warm personality. In addition, applicants should like and relate well to children as well as possess the desire and skills necessary to work with them: patience, kindness, tolerance, adaptability and the ability to creatively problem-solve.
We have two categories of volunteers, Classroom Volunteers and Enrichment Volunteers:
Classroom Volunteers have significant responsibility in our program by helping teachers and students in our classrooms Mondays through Fridays from 8:15am-3:30pm. Classroom volunteers will have a very full experience with our students and will be involved in their academics, social-emotional learning and all enrichment, including field trips.
Enrichment Volunteers are students who have morning summer school or sports commitment but still want to participate in the Horizons GFA program. The hours for Enrichment Volunteers are 11:45am-3:30pm, Mondays through Thursdays. They have a different set of responsibilities than Classroom Volunteers and work with teachers and students during afternoon enrichment activities, not during morning academics or SEL, and they do not go on field trips.
In both cases, volunteers can choose the period of time they will be at Horizons: six weeks (June 22-July 31), the first three weeks (June 22-July 10) or the second three weeks (July 13-July 31).
The major distinction between the two types of volunteers besides the schedule is that Classroom Volunteers gain the classroom experience required to eventually apply for a paid Classroom Intern position, but Enrichment Volunteers do not. Both types of volunteers will receive community service hours.
DIRECTIONS FOR APPLYING
Returning Summer Volunteers
For students who have previously worked during the summer or in four or more Saturday Academy sessions, just fill out and submit application form.
New Summer Volunteers
For applicants new to Horizons GFA, have not worked during the summer or in four or more Saturday Academy sessions:
- fill out and submit the application form below
- ask someone who knows you well (not a parent) to complete the online reference form. Copy and send this link to that person: https://www.horizonsgfa.org/new-volunteer-reference-form/