The mission of Horizon at GFA is to help underserved PreK through 12th grade Bridgeport students improve their educational outcomes by providing academic instruction, enrichment opportunities, mentoring and educational guidance in a nurturing community of dedicated professionals.
Horizons at GFA offers a limited number of students who have completed 9th grade and older the opportunity to work with Horizons PreK to 8th grade students in our six-week full-day summer program. This is a volunteer position.
Volunteers play a valuable role at Horizons by assisting classroom teachers with a variety of activities that vary from day to day, but will include:
- Academic: work with students individually or in small groups; prepare materials for classroom activities, monitor specific activities as assigned by classroom teacher
- Enrichment: monitor students in all enrichment activities (sports, music, science, art, swimming, etc.) and on field trips, actively engaging with students in the activity where appropriate. Volunteers are required to help in the pool during swim lessons.
- General: set a positive example for all students at all times; assist in cafeteria as needed during breakfast and lunch; monitor and engage with students during recess, at sports, during transitions, on bus, during swimming and on field trips
The characteristics of a successful Horizons at GFA volunteer include maturity, restraint, good judgment, and a cheerful, warm personality. In addition, applicants should like and relate well to children as well as possess the desire and skills necessary to work with them: patience, kindness, tolerance, adaptability and the ability to creatively problem-solve.
To be eligible to be a Horizons at GFA summer volunteer, you must:
- Have completed 9th grade by June 2019
- Have experience in a Horizons classroom either in Saturday Academy or during a previous summer session (experience can be gained during 2019 Spring Saturday Academy session, April 20 through June 1)
Tentative summer 2019 dates are Monday, June 24 through Friday, August 2. Program hours are 8:00am–3:30pm. The application for volunteering will be posted in January 2019. For further information, please contact:
Monique Rutledge, Director of Operations & Enrichment
firstname.lastname@example.org or 203-256-7579