2018 HORIZONS AT GFA SUMMER VOLUNTEER
APPLICATION DEADLINE: APRIL 30, 2018
The mission of Horizon at GFA is to help underserved PreK through 12th grade Bridgeport students improve their educational outcomes by providing academic instruction, enrichment opportunities, mentoring and educational guidance in a nurturing community of dedicated professionals.
Horizons at GFA offers a limited number of students who have completed 9th grade and older the opportunity to work with Horizons PreK to 8th grade students in our six-week full-day summer program. This is a volunteer position.
Volunteers play a valuable role at Horizons by assisting classroom teachers with a variety of activities that vary from day to day, but will include:
- Academic: work with students individually or in small groups; prepare materials for classroom activities, monitor specific activities as assigned by classroom teacher
- Enrichment: monitor students in all enrichment activities (sports, music, science, art, swimming, etc.) and on field trips, actively engaging with students in the activity where appropriate. Volunteers are required to help in the pool during swim lessons.
- General: set a positive example for all students at all times; assist in cafeteria as needed during breakfast and lunch; monitor and engage with students during recess, at sports, during transitions, on bus, during swimming and on field trips
The characteristics of a successful Horizons at GFA volunteer include maturity, restraint, good judgment, and a cheerful, warm personality. In addition, applicants should like and relate well to children as well as possess the desire and skills necessary to work with them: patience, kindness, tolerance, adaptability and the ability to creatively problem-solve.
To be eligible to be a Horizons at GFA summer volunteer, you must:
- Have completed 9th grade by June 2018
- Have experience in a Horizons classroom either in Saturday Academy or during a previous summer session (experience can be gained during 2018 Spring Saturday Academy session, April 22 through June 4)
- Be available as follows: full days for entire six-week session (preferred), or at a minimum, full day for either the first three weeks (June 25-July 13) or the second three weeks (July 16-August 3). Unfortunately, we are unable to place volunteers with availability outside those parameters. Half-day volunteers are not accepted.
- Submit completed application form (below) by April 30, 2018.
Summer 2018 dates will be Monday, June 25 through Friday, August 3, plus training hours on June 22. (Please note: summer dates could change due to winter weather closures.) Program hours are 8:20am–3:30pm.
Thank you for your interest in working at Horizons! For further information, please contact:
Monique Rutledge, Program Manager
Horizons at GFA